The Matakana Naturopath
Lunch for the Liver
A quick & easy meal to support Phase II Liver Detoxification
150gm Dried Chickpeas
500ml Filtered Water
1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
4 Nasturtium Leaves
10 Dandelion Leaves
5 Garlic Greens
1 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
1 Tbsp Sunflower Seeds
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Broccoli Head
1 Sprig of Sage
1 Sprig of Rosemary
1 Lime Cheek
Salt to taste
1. Firstly, soak the dried chickpeas in the filtered water overnight - Soaking legumes helps to increase their digestibility to absorb the protein and nutrients.
2. Once soaked, put them in a pot with an extra 200ml of water and bring to the boil with ACV - this helps to further break them down and reduce symptoms of bloating associated with plant proteins.
3. Chop the broccoli into bite-sized pieces and put them in a stainless steel strainer (or steamer) to gently steam using the heat from the boiling chickpeas. Remove from the heat after 4mins and allow to cool.
4. Chop the nasturtiums, dandelion leaf and garlic greens and add into a mortar & pestle (or food processor) along with the sunflower and sesame seeds.
5. Add the olive oil and grind until you have a pesto-like consistency.
6. Once the chickpeas are soft, remove from the heat, strain the water and place the cooked chickpeas into a pan with chopped rosemary, sage, olive oil and salt.
7. Gentle heat the pan, tossing occasionally until you can start to smell the rosemary cooking (4mins).
8. In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, wild pesto, and chickpea mix. Squeeze the juice of lime and combine thoroughly until all parts are evenly coated with the wild pesto - Best enjoyed warm :)
Packed full of herbs and nutrients required for optimal support of Phase II Liver detoxification. Ideal for anyone suffering from PMS, high cholesterol or is generally fatigued due to a sluggish liver - Check out Episode Two of Mondays with The Matakana Naturopath for more information!